2011-08-30

Multiple U's vs. Global model roof with wooden frame holding it up

Without a finished global model book what's an earthship sailor to do? Become an intern like Dan Richfield? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI9LInmNfpE and hire EB staff during your build? He's got great practical details in his videos that EB kind of glossed over. I like the multiple U design. It's got more thermal mass for a cold climate. In a sunny cold climate we need to collect as much sun energy in thermal mass as we can get. Admittedly the weaknesses that I can tell are: you can't overhang the roof at all over the greenhouse, and the front of the U sidewalls are vulnerable, and the transition from the main roof to the greenhouse can be straight as I want, but it's a little trickier. I want multiple U's with 1st greenhouse glass like the packaged earthship, which became the global model. I was worried if I put up 9 courses of tires and then dig the little foundation for the non-weight bearing 1st greenhouse glass that it's going to cause the dirt under those front tires to weaken, but we'll be putting concrete in there anyway. They run that footing all the way to the sidewalls on the packaged earthship. Even one of the "existing earthships" in the back of volume 1 implemented it. We definitely need the 1st inner greenhouse in Mongolia in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment