2011-08-01

Straw Bales for thermal wrap insulation - maybe not

So far everything I've read is that it's too hard to keep straw bales dry underground, even if you encase them in concrete and plastic and clay. Concrete may develop little cracks, then when the moisture gets in it's history. I think the harder insulation is more expensive. In Mongolia the main way of building is with concrete. They build a concrete slab wall, then glue insulation (usually something like cheap styrofoam) and then cement over it. I saw this on Russian style high rises close up. Usually they're selling the cheap styrofoam. The harder insulation costs more.

The double front face keeps more buffer zones from outside. If I had that, I would have full confidence to go with "no backup heating." I don't know if we can afford it. All it is though is the trusses with the frame and tires and all the glass and the extra roof. That's all. If I'm convinced it's within budget, I just might do it. It's not complicated except for the roof transition and the truss supports, except that I'm up in the air to install it all. Thanks to Brian Simpson for encouraging me to go for it. 

But just like the inner Chukchi tent was warm enough, the inner sanctum of a fully insulated thermal wrap with tires has got to be a lot warmer than that Chukchi inner tent at -60 outside.

I'll keep looking for more info on straw bales underground, but right now it seems like they're not going to be waterproof enough to prevent rotting. Also, thick concrete around them costs money, even if it did work.

No comments:

Post a Comment